What are Australia's best unis for computer science?
Computer science / IT is an area where you want good teaching from a university and not just a big reputation. A successful computing career depends on learning and ability, not just where you studied.
The best computer science universities in Australia:
- have a large information technology teaching program
- are rated highly by graduates who complete computing degrees
- help computer science students land good jobs.
Based on these criteria, Australia's top computer science unis are:
On this page
- Computer science unis
- Top bachelor degrees
- Best masters programs
Australia's computer science universities
Information technology student numbers
The biggest universities for computer science in Australia are successful at bringing in large numbers of students, offer an attractive selection of courses, and have resources to provide services for many students.
- As you might expect, the biggest IT unis include "technology" unis. Among the largest 10 are RMIT, QUT, Swinburne and UTS.
- Interestingly, international students outnumber Australian students in postgraduate courses (at a ratio of almost 2:1).
|Charles Sturt University||2,694||954||1,740||1,423|
|Queensland University of Technology||3,380||2,295||1,085||930|
|Federation University Australia||2,572||1,128||1,444||2,239|
|University of Technology Sydney||2,847||1,820||1,027||907|
|Swinburne University of Technology||2,897||2,052||845||1,214|
|University of Wollongong||2,501||1,908||593||1,915|
|University of New South Wales||1,699||1,128||571||486|
|La Trobe University||1,283||594||689||854|
|University of Southern Queensland||1,214||648||566||767|
|James Cook University||1,262||840||422||898|
|University of Queensland||1,332||961||371||388|
|Edith Cowan University||1,256||897||359||419|
|Western Sydney University||1,663||1,446||217||269|
|University of Canberra||1,277||972||305||506|
|University of South Australia||1,153||825||328||225|
|University of Melbourne||968||2||966||681|
|University of Sydney||924||541||383||384|
|University of Tasmania||1,358||1,195||163||988|
|University of Newcastle||1,117||940||177||388|
|University of Adelaide||551||383||168||300|
|Australian National University||591||454||137||228|
|University of New England||317||228||89||42|
|Charles Darwin University||247||200||47||123|
|Australian Catholic University||204||163||41||112|
|University of Western Australia||130||74||56||29|
|Southern Cross University||326||320||6||99|
|University of the Sunshine Coast||201||191||10||58|
Source: uCube Higher Education Statistics (2 Dec 2015), Information Technology field
Top bachelor degrees
Here are selections for the best bachelor degrees in computer science / information technology.
- These courses are at or near the top in Uni Reviews rankings.
- As well as ranking highly, they are strong in areas such as course depth or ease of entry.
Note: ATAR minimum scores for course entry are indicative only.
Best masters programs
The best computer science masters program for you depends on your budget, location and time availability.
Each of the top-rated courses shown below offers something different.
- SCU Online has a modular program for current or future IT managers. Each unit is fully online and can be completed within 2 months.
- Federation University Australia's computer science program is popular with international students (helped by low tuition fees).
- The University of Queensland's IT program gets good ratings for student satisfaction and graduate salaries.
About IT masters degrees
Studying for masters degree in computer science is a good way to:
- start on a new career path in computing
- refresh your knowledge
- develop new skills
- gain management credentials.
A masters program can be anywhere from 1 to 2 years of full-time study. Programs typically contain shorter course options (graduate certificates and diplomas).